Moving On, Starting Over

May 7, 2013

Lets talk about fears. What truly scares you? For me, losing my husband or my daughter. Right below that is losing another member of my family, my parents or siblings. But that's not what I want to talk about today. Today I'm going to tell you something that we're going through right now. And it's scary. But I think it's a good kind of scary.

Aaron is leaving the military. A few weeks ago he had a PT (physical training) test. These tests are mandatory for every military member but they vary between branches of what's required to pass them. The Air Force is the only branch that measures your waist line and has a max limit of how "big" you're allowed to be. Aaron passed the push-ups, sit-ups, and run portions of the test with flying colors. He is in great shape. Recently he was asked to give a blood sample to be an example of what a perfectly healthy 27 year old male should be. I'm not exaggerating when I say he's in good health. But he's 1/2 an inch over their max waist limit. And because of that extra 1/2 inch he failed his test. And because he failed the test he's being separated from the military. He's being given an honorable discharge, but it's still the equivalent of losing his job. And that's scary.

When Aaron called me after his PT test and told me he'd failed it I felt so sad for him. He worked so hard to pass and he was SO CLOSE. I'll be honest here. I was expecting to be angry and terrified if he didn't pass. But I wasn't. I felt very calm and accepted the news easily. Aaron and I have always talked about "one day" when he's not in the military what we'd want to do. So when he asked me the BIG question of what do we do I said "everything we planned!" I got excited. Excited over my husband losing his job? I know. I was surprised too. But I was excited. We decided we're moving back to Utah (!!!) and Aaron is going back to school. He's getting his degree in Art and Computer Science (he's incredibly talented in both areas) and he's going to design art for video games. It's his dream job and now he's going to chase his dreams.

It's scary, the idea of moving on and starting over. We have a 2 month old daughter to worry about. Aaron is getting a new job. We're moving across the world (but thankfully, back home). For the first time in 9 years my husband is moving somewhere because he wants to and not because someone gave him an order. We have no idea how long we'll be in Utah. We're taking things one step at a time. Life is going to be very different, but we're both excited. We're going somewhere new and wonderful and we're doing it as a family. Together we're facing our fears and coming out fighting.


Because we'll never have another spring in Japan, I went out today and took some pictures of the cherry blossoms. I have plans to do it again later this week because I definitely didn't get enough. Aren't they beautiful? I'll definitely miss them.

xo Sue

11 comments:

  1. but how exciting is it that you're going to be closer to your family??!!

    I know you'll miss Japan and all the beautiful scenery - I'm going to miss seeing those pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your attitude about this change is so admirable! Best of luck to you and Aaron on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it was disappointing to be so close to passing but it's good that he'll be able to fall back on something that he has wanted to do. And it'll be so great for you to be closer to family. The next time we're in Utah, we should meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These trees are beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful trees. I miss those in Austin!

    Good luck on the transition. Forced changes can be terrifying and exhilarating all at once, can't they?? And I love your outlook! Interested to follow along and see how things unfold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the positive attitude!!! Good luck to you and your family Sue. Those standards can be so ridiculous sometimes. I can't wait to hear about all of your future adventures though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck and I wish you all the happiness in the world. Hopefully this is just a blessing in disguise for your family and will lead you down a better path to true happiness. Hope you do everything you WANT to do in life :)

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless your heart! A for real pivotal moment. I think what's scariest about these moments is the fact that we simply can't see ahead. At all. Looking back, I am almost always grateful for the sort of moment that you're going through now. But when I was in the middle of it, the future was a mystery. And I'll admit it was scariest when I feared the worst (which never happened). Good luck and God bless! I live in Utah now...just about Everything is in bloom right now (we waited a long time for spring). Lynaea @ EveryDayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck and welcome home. How exciting for you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry things happened that way, but I'm so impressed how you handled it and I hope the future is going to be amazing for your family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! well it seems things are working out great..even though it is kinda sad that aaron lost his job..im just shocked that because of 1/2 an inch though..(i dont know much about military standards). But you guys get to do what you've always wanted and move back home!! :) we'll be closer now haha. I love your attitude! and you! happy trails!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!