Simple Beauty

May 31, 2012

I've been working on blog design pretty much non-stop since I put out my call for it. I think I overdid myself a bit- I got 46 responses! But I don't mind because it makes me happy to do it. I love doing design. The only stressful part has been answering emails. I tried to talk my husband into answering them all for me so I could focus on the creative side of things and he laughed at me. I had to try. 

I have a client who wants dandelions for her blog button. I looked EVERYWHERE for a good picture of them (that was actually usable- no stealing). There were none to be found. Of my FOUR design programs I have on my computer there was not one single dandelion. Not to be outsmarted by computers and my own ambitious "I can do anything" attitude, I grabbed my camera, went into my front yard, and started taking pictures of the dandelions growing there. Then I emailed her this picture and asked if she liked it. She was thrilled. And I was delighted to have found a use for both my graphic designs and my photography in one hit. 

But the best part? It was finding simple beauty in my own front yard. Until yesterday I hadn't even looked at the dandelions growing there. Now I can't stop staring.


18 comments:

  1. gorgeous picture - and you should link up to her blog when its done so we can see the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just a beautiful post. Finding beauty in the things we often overlook.. I absolutely love it! So glad that I stumbled across your blog from the Send Something Good linkup. I mean really, you love singing, reading, and laughing.. you're basically awesome according to me. And so is your about me;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! I loved this post, it made me super happy!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about trying to find usable dandelion pics -- I tried as well with no success! But that pic you took is absolutely beautiful!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Suzi, you take great pics. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture! Way to get resourceful and do it yourself! Your entrepreneurship is inspiring - I need to work on my photography a bit more - time to update the Etsy : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! I love the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I found your over at Whispering Sweet Nothings. Your blog is great, and I just LOVE the social media buttons you made for her! I'm your newest follower :D and definitely wish I could design blogs as well as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 46???? That's amazing. I dabble in design and have given a few away for free. I struggle with a quick turn around because I work full-time that I don't usually have a lot of time to be creative. I am impressed with this response - it makes me what to consider selling a few of my designs. If you don't mind me asking - what programs do you design in? I am just trying to get a sense of what people use. I lean toward illustrator but am pushing myself to use photoshop for some things.

    Anyways great job and good luck with your new 'business'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the great response to your business and wow, what a beautiful picture and perfect story to go with it. It really is the little things, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Sue, I didn't realize you went to such GREAT lengths for me!! I feel horrible being the "problem client" now! I am so glad you found more than one use for this BEAUTIFUL picture, can't wait to start putting my buttons to use!!

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shot! I love dandelions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg that photo you took is beautiful! so serene looking! love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay! I'm glad you're enjoying designing for all us non-creative types. ;) If you have any palm trees in Japan, feel free to snap away. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue
    I love that you took your own photo!
    In the event that it's night-time and/or raining, do you know about http://morguefile.com/

    Free photos for private and commercial use. I did a search on "dandelion" and got pages of results. Very handy :).
    mj.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photo! I've been thinking of redo on my blog ... how does one acquire your expertise?

    ♥ Shia

    ReplyDelete
  17. so gorgeous! isn't it amazing how something as pesky as a dandalion can be so beautiful!? thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great pic! I love the way you processed it! It looks very summery and vintage!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!