Calzone!!

Nov 29, 2012

Today I was feeling a little creative and wanted to do something fun for dinner. I have made pizza plenty of times and thought that would be a good option since I didn't have much time to make something fancy. So... I pulled up my trusty Pinterest boards and found the idea of making a Calzone! I pulled out my Momma´s pizza dough recipe, threw on a few ingredients and put it in to bake. It was quick and easy. Best of all it tasted delicious! Hope you enjoy!


Yummy Calzone!

Becky's Pizza Dough:
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt

Toppings:
Marinara sauce
Cheese
Pepperoni
(Anything you really want!)
1 egg
Parmesan cheese
Italian Herb mix

Directions:
1- Mix water, yeast, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Let it rise for a few minutes.


2- Add flour and salt. Mix for 3-5 minutes. Roll out dough into a rectangular shape (mine is not the best example...!) Preheat your oven to 425 at this point. Transfer to a baking sheet with a little bit of corn meal on it for easy removal- trust me! I forgot this step and regretted it later when I had to after I had made it all pretty!!!


3- Add your sauce down the middle length-wise. Sprinkle cheese on top of that.


4- Place pepperoni along the top of cheese. (Add any other ingredients that you would like in your Calzone) I put a little extra cheese I had shredded on top of the pepperoni. 


5- Cut slits into the sides of your dough along both sides of the toppings. Try to make the same number of slits on both sides and keep them around the same width as much as your can.


6- Start folding the slices one by one, weaving them together. 


7- Tuck the last slice under the bottom when you get to the end.


8- This is when I had to transfer it... but hopefully you did that before it looked this pretty! Mine stretched all funny once I moved it... Anyways, I will remember next time! Back to the recipe... Whip the egg in a bowl and brush it over the top of your Calzone. (My egg mixture got a little messy... sorry!)


9- Sprinkle a good amount of Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning on top.


10- Bake on 425 for 15 minutes. Pull it out when the crust is looking brown and yummy!


11- Let it set for a few minutes so the sauce doesn't spill all over the place. Slice it up and enjoy!!!


Though eleven steps that I have listed may seem like a lot, it really isn't. I just broke it down really simply so I could add all the pictures that I took! It took me less than 15 minutes to put it all together and another 15 to bake. While it was baking I cleaned up my kitchen and had only a few small dishes left once we finished dinner. It worked out really well for a busy night!! Thanks for reading!
xo Shelly

3 comments:

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!