Sometimes

Nov 14, 2012

We meet new people every day. Some we'll probably never see again. Some we may see again but they won't have any significant impact in our lives. Some stay in our lives for a while. And a very few stay forever. People drift in and out of our lives every day and we don't think anything of it.

Sometimes there's a person who intentionally leaves our lives, and things change. It could be a bad breakup, a friendship that ends, or the death of a loved one. Sometimes it's a traumatizing event and sometimes it happens slowly over time and you don't realize it until it's over. Either way, things change.

Sometimes you have to let go of a negative influence in your life. It can be so hard but there are times it needs to be done. There are some people who are simply bad for you. Not that they're bad people, but they're bad for you. And if there's someone who drags you down it's okay to let them go.

Sometimes change is for the best. You have to open yourself up to new possibilities and experiences. A few years ago I went through the most heartbreaking thing I've ever known, divorce. At the time I couldn't see past it. It changed everything in my life. It was the darkest time I've ever gone through. Logic told me I wouldn't always feel so horrible but my heart didn't believe I'd ever recover.

Sometimes all you need is time. So I gave myself that. Once I let go of the negative, the depression, the pain, the heartbreak, and I moved on with my life, I found happiness that I never knew existed.

Sometimes life surprises you. Like meeting my husband. I was nowhere close to wanting to date but I was immediately drawn to him. There's just something special about Aaron. I was very upfront with him and told him we wouldn't be anything more than friends. He said he was okay with that and for a while that's all we were. Little did I know, I was falling in love without even realizing it.

Sometimes you just have to trust yourself. I was scared to let Aaron in but my instincts told me it would be worth it. So I trusted. But if I had never gone through the trauma of my past experiences I'd never have met Aaron. I truly know that. I wouldn't be married to this wonderful man and pregnant with my precious daughter. I don't know where I would be, but I wouldn't be here.

With the approaching birth of our daughter I've been reflecting a lot more than usual on just how lucky I am to be where I'm at. No, my life is definitely not perfect. I have trials and troubles like any other person, but I've learned that a positive attitude and a solid foundation of love can get you through so much. I am incredibly grateful for my life, both the good and the bad, because it has made me the person that I am today. And I really like her.
xo Sue

8 comments:

  1. Great post :) It's amazing to look back on the dark times in our lives and to see later on just how much they can change us for the better. So glad that you have found an amazing man and have such happiness in your life now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I needed this post. My serious boyfriend of five years has recently decided that he doesn't want to be with me anymore. It has definitely been the most difficult change in my life thus far. I know that there will be a time when it is easy. When there is no more pain and confusion, but getting my heart to believe that is another story. Your strength gives me hope. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have such a way with words. beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the person that you have become :) I'm lucky to have you as my sister and best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written!! And so true. Glad that you are remembering your blessings. :) (Perfect month for that, yes?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true. All our past experiences lead us to where we are - all the people we've met, all the people we pass by on the train or the side walk, and all the people who walk out of lives for whatever reason!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catching up on some reading and came across this! Great post cousin! Change isn't always wanted but it's a constant and sometimes very needed! I'm so happy that you found the man of your dreams and expecting your little one!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!