Short Story Challenge.

Feb 12, 2012

Ashley @ Adventures of Newlyweds issued a Short Story Challenge last week. I know, I'm a little late on the completion date but better late than never, right? I love to write and I do it every day, but only for myself. I usually don't share my writing with other people. I'll admit to being a little nervous over sharing this very rough draft with my readers but sometimes you have to do things that scare you. So without further ado, I give you my (untitled) short story. Enjoy!

*******************************************

I could just make out the windows high in the castle wall. I’m so desperate to reach them. I’ve been traveling for days with no company but my own mind. I can feel the blisters on my feet pulse with pain. My knees are weak and my mouth is dry. I was ready to give in to despair when I saw the distant light. Oh, dear light! Do you know what you mean to this terrified traveler? Shelter, warmth, perhaps even a place to lie my head down and sleep a while. Most of all you mean the end of my fears. Or maybe just the lessening of them.

I’ve been running for three days now. I only know because the sun falls behind the trees for hours and makes it difficult to continue my journey. I sleep in stolen moments, too scared to close my eyes, too tired to keep them open any longer. Now I must stop and breathe and contemplate my next move. I’ve always known this day would come, when I’d have to leave everything I love and run. Run for my sanity, and my life. As I try to catch my breath I berate myself. I was too comfortable in that life. I knew the risks. I knew the danger. But that life was wonderfully simple and on a hot summer’s day I’d let myself believe that it could truly be mine. I’d let go of the fear and my vigilance had waned. I became careless. I’m sure that’s how they found me. I must have slipped up. I must have done something wrong- something that exposed me for who I truly was. And now they’ve found me and I am running.

I know they’re close. I can feel it. I’m sure the only reason I’ve made it this far is they haven’t yet figured out where I am going. The curtains will fall from that mystery now that I see the glimmer of light. They’ll see it too, and then they will know. I can only pray those within the castle are prepared. Pray none of them has been as foolish as me. I cling to that hope, knowing only it will get me through. I can do this. I can do this. I have to believe it.

I know these woods now. They’re as real to me as my beating heart and my throbbing feet. I haven’t been here since I was four but I can’t forget a place like this. The castle seems far off but I know it’s only a matter of hours before I’m pounding on the front gates. I pause just a moment more and then I’m off again. Moving swiftly and silently. This is why I came alone. I know she would have left everything and come with me but I couldn’t risk it. My heart wishes for her. My heart is stupid. I move faster now. I weave through the trees. I feel the breeze on my face. It’s so close. I hear them behind me. They are not as skilled or as silent as I am. It no longer matters; I’ll be inside the walls before they can catch me. I finally emerge from the trees and the large wooden doors suddenly seem so close. I allow myself a moment of relief as I’m running. If truth must be told, I didn’t think I’d make it. And then I’m there, at the doors, and pounding with all my strength. I step back as they fall open. My heart drops to my stomach and terror floods my senses. I now know my entire life has been a lie, not to others, but to me. My father’s rule number one was Never Trust Anyone. How could I have guessed he was talking about himself? 



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. This is really good! Great writing :)
    I only wish it hadn't ended!! I wanted to know what was going on lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're a really good writer.. I want to keep reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I love it. I agree with Lauren, I didn't want it to end. I want more. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story!!! It has everything good about it! And as iq type I struggle to not be a critic, only because I learned from my English teachers that critiquing is good for everyone and when you critique something you destroy it... Figure of speech. But I still LOVE it!!!
    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you do that!! Love your blog. New reader!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!