On Reaching Out to Other Bloggers

Apr 18, 2012

I sometimes wish to myself that all my blogger friends and I can move to the same city and live in rows. We'd all have pretty houses and do art projects together and bake lots of cookies and then kick our own butts to keep them skinny (thank you pinterest). But since I can't live in a place with all my friendly bloggers I'll settle for connecting through blogging. When I first started venturing outside my comfort zone I was daunted by the idea of reaching out to others. I thought to myself (about multiple people) that they had too many followers and there's no way they'd want to hear from little me. But that's just silly. It delights me beyond belief when I have a fellow blogger write me an email and I know I'm not the only one! These ladies have no idea I'm about to write about them on my blog... hahaha. Just kidding ladies! It's all good, you'll see.

The very first blogger I ever reached out to was Erika at Chambanachik. I stumbled onto her blog randomly. And I'm a sucker for "about me" sections. If you don't have one on your blog get one because it annoys me when I can't read them. Seriously, it's the first thing I read. I love to learn about people. I'm studying psychology with an emphasis in human behavior in college right now. But I digress. Erika has a "History" tab on her blog that instantly captivated me and after reading every single post in it (this post in particular broke my heart just a little) I felt the urge to reach out to her. I had been through something similar and yet so different from Erika and I wanted to talk to her, to connect with her, and to thank her for her honesty over such painful subjects. So I did. At first my thought was, she has so many other followers, my email couldn't possibly mean anything. Then she wrote me back saying it was the hope of touching someone who needs it (like me) that keeps her writing her honest words. In its own way, my email helped us both.

I found Kris at The New Normal through Erika's blog. She is one of the nicest people I have met through blogging. She probably doesn't know this but I actually read her blog for a while before I started commenting. (Sorry Kris- I was a stalker!) I found their story so sweet and sincere, I just couldn't help but read it. I'm not kidding when I say I cried reading this post about Kris and her husband surprising the kids at school when he came home a few days early from his YEAR long deployment. Seriously, is there anything better than a family reunited? And so I read Kris's blog without really saying much because she was one of those bloggers that you read and you think how wonderful they are but they couldn't possibly want you to bother them. As it turns out,  we've become good friends and she's one of my new pen pals. She's still my military wife inspiration for making it through a year with two children and a far away husband. I dread the day I have to do it myself, but when I do I know I will have her (and of course others) for support. And that makes me feel so good.


The last blog friend I want to share about is Megan at And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson. Megan's another of my blogging idols. I've been reading her for a while but we only recently started connecting beyond simple comments and responses. At first glance you just see another cute blogger (and she definitely is cute). But Megan is one of those that writes about reality. She wrote one post in particular that's stuck with me where she opened up about her struggles with depression. She writes the truth. She's honest with herself and she's honest with her readers. And that is one of the things I LOVE about Megan. And now that I've gotten to know her on a more personal level I love her even more.


Are you seeing a trend here? I try to be open and honest on my blog. As it turns out some of the best blogger friends I've made do the same thing. Coincidence? I wish that I could go on and on because TRUST ME these are definitely not the only bloggers I've connected with, there are so many (you know who you are) and I love every one of them. These are just a few of my examples of why you should reach out to the people who touch you. Every time I write about something that's hard to write about, something that's painful, or something that's just unpleasant I think maybe I shouldn't write it. But that's not real life. And every time I share something painful I get responses from others that I've helped or influenced, simply from being brave enough to share my story. None of us is happy all the time. None of us has a painless story. And that's why I blog. To share my story.


And since I can't leave you with a picture-less post, I'll share my baby. I left the room for maybe two minutes and this is what I came back to today. That's his "It wasn't me, Mom" face. It gets him out of a lot of things.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, Sue! You seriously made my tear up (a lot!) reading this! You are so incredibly sweet and your words mean more to me than you could ever know :)

    I felt the same way about commenting on other people's blog, thinking why would they want to hear from me? And yes, I felt the SAME way when I commented on yours! But blogging has definitely helped me step out of my comfort zone and reach out to others in a way that I would have a hard time doing in person. I do wish we all lived near each other though! I have that thought ALL the time!!

    But oh my, your words are some of the sweetest someone has ever said to me! Thank you! And they are so true about Erika too - love her!! (I will definitely have to check out Megan! She sounds wonderful!)

    Thank you again, my dear friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a terrible commenter, especially since I read most of my blogs on my phone or at work (don't people realize I need them to leave me alone so I can comment on blogs? Customers these days!)

    I so wish we could all live in row houses! How fun would that be? Erika (and Millie) are super fun in real life, yes, I am so lucky I got to hang out with them in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh it sounds so fun to all live in the same block and bake cookies and work out and do crafts and drink wine! (You do drink wine with your cookies right? Or am I the only one?)

    Btw, when are y'all scheduled to come back stateside? Not that you'd be stationed in the Middle Of Nowhere near us (unfortunately- for me only), but Japan seems soooo far away! I have no chance of running into you when I'm on vacation (haaaa like I vacation so much LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I feel the same way. Honesty is crucial for me to be interested in a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, it made me realize that I don't have an About Me page on my blog. I'm about to change that!

    I still feel a little weird about commenting on people's blogs or emailing them but I'm always glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3 I am so very glad you wrote me that day. I still have that emailed saved. It meant the world to me.

    And I'm glad we "know" each other now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree with us all living on blogger row in cute houses with white picket fences. It's amazing how close you can get to people you've never met. I love all the friendships I've forged through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be so much fun to have a blogging community/neighborhood.

    I know I think "why would anyone read my blog" ... but you just do what you do and people who are interested will stop by. I try not to think about it too much and am always delighted when people follow and comment.

    Keep on doing what you do best, Sue. You have an excellent blog and of course you're awesome. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a good heart doll ;) We should have our own neighborhood haha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. In an ideal world that is exactly how it would be.. living near each other. It is too bad we are all spread across the nation and world too. Because I think it would be fun to have a giant meet up somewhere.. someday maybe.

    It is truly great to know that you have affected someone through your words. Coincidence that I just wrote about this too! :)

    P.S. I get that face ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! You hit the nail on the head girl! I agree 1050 percent! When I first started blogging I used to think bloggers with 100 readers were untouchable..who can keep track of so many friends, right? But I was sooo mistaken! I reached out to a few via commenting and emails and they were super friendly.. And I was happily surprised.. I feel bad for not reaching out more lately, but I've just been superrrr busy..But anywho.. I love your post! You are so sweet!

    Have a great day!


    Janette, the Jongleur

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post, Sue! I'm terrible when it comes to commenting. I need to be better about that. But I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww I loved this post. I agree with you. I absolutely love REAL blog posts. Reading them and writing them. I find a sort of poetry in baring your soul. Dont get me wrong, I love looking at fashion and beauty tips, hopefully wishing a was a beautifullly talented DIYer, but for me personally, if I don't have something REAL to write about, I have a hard time finding something to post. I actually have to go looking for link ups just so I can post "something" when I have nothing worth baring my soul.
    I was scared at first to do so, because my mom was reading, church friends (being a pk)... And they never knew how depressed I was... Or how I felt like I didn't fit into my own family...but once I start opening up, I start getting emails like crazy from ppl who felt the same way.
    The ability to bare your soul is a gift, because it reaches ppl where they are at :) which is my heart... Simply loving people:)
    I'm glad to know there are other gals out there that connect well with "reality." Hee hee. Thanks for writing this...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Commenting is not my strong point. An attorney, I tend to be short and sweet and don't express emotion as well as I could (truth be told). But, I have to say that Kris and many other bloggers are so sweet and really leave thoughtful, loving comments and it really means the world to me, especially when I write a post that I pour my heart out into and she/they are the only ones who write a quick note. Thank you, gals!

    PS just added this blog to my bloglovin-can't wait to read more : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. holy.cow. i don't even know what to say! thank you SO much for your INCREDIBLY kind words about me and my blog. that means the world to me, truly. i'm so glad you like what i write and it doesn't turn you off. i am always scared about that so for you to say all of that brought tears to my eyes and i'm just honestly speechless. i cannot thank you enough!! i'm so glad you did reach out and that we have gotten to know each other better. you are amazing and i love you so much!!

    and yes i'm seriously so bad at commenting too... i read blogs on my phone and try to highlight them to go back and comment but always get so tied up. i need to be better. i'm sorry i'm such a bad friend!!

    you are incredible! thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love people who are honest on their blogs, even when it sometimes makes them stand out a bit as "weird" or "too much information".

    I think most people can at least sort of tell when someone else isn't sincere. At least I can, and that makes me less interested in reading their blog.

    As for About Me pages, I don't read them as often as I feel like I should...so maybe I should start! :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tagged you in a game of blog tag, check out the challenge on my page www.greenpbjs.blogspot.com :) -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I love this. Found you through the Send something good link-up! I look forward to keeping up with your adventures :)

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!