The Holiday Season

Nov 25, 2013


I love this time of year. The music, the lights, the general spirit of cheeriness in the air. A lot of people get angry that Christmas decorations are out before Thanksgiving but I see no point in that. Instead of thinking of the two holidays separately, I like to think of the Holiday Season in general. The happiness, the love, the beauty of the world. I like to focus on those things.

Since this is Everly's first holiday season I'm trying extra hard to make it a good one. I've been thinking about traditions I want to start with our family and things I want to teach her. She may be only 9 months old, but she's so smart already and learns every day. She's not to young to understand the meaning of love, happiness, and giving.

Last year Aaron and I started two family traditions that I hope to continue for a very long time. The first was a Secret Santa for another family. We wrapped up a little bundle of goodies we thought they'd enjoy and we dropped it off at their doorstep on December 24th. I was 7 months pregnant so I waited around the corner while Aaron rang their doorbell and ran like the wind. It was so much fun! That evening we settled onto the couch with new pajamas, hot chocolate and our Christmas book for the year, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Aaron read it to my round little belly and Everly kicked him to say thank you. It was such a sweet moment for us all. I've already picked out our Christmas book for this year. It will be wrapped and waiting for us under the tree on Christmas Eve! I hope Everly enjoys it as much as I did growing up.

It's such a gift to see the world through my daughter's eyes. I took her outside a few nights ago to see the twinkle lights that are hung over the garage. She looked at them in awe and reached her chubby hand out to try and touch them. I've never seen more beautiful twinkle lights.

Because of Everly I'm seeing things in a whole new way. I'm remembering the true spirit of Christmas and I'm learning to keep a thankful soul. It's such a magical thing.
xo Sue

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how much Christmas changes when you have kids? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are celebrating our little girls first Christmas as well and I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that tradition of a secret santa for a random family. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love that secret Santa tradition. That is so awesome of you guys, and so special for those families! I would love to start doing that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!