Salt Dough Ornaments

Nov 15, 2013

Today I'm linking up with the Pintester Movement: Ho Ho Ho Edition. If you haven't heard of the Pinteseter you definitely need to check her out. Her blog is all about the pins she actually makes/tests from Pinterest. They're pretty entertaining. I planned to do this a few days ago but since life had other plans it all fell to today (which coincidentally was the last day to play).

My original idea came from this image I found on pinterest. I cannot for anything find where it originally came from though, and believe me, I've looked! The farthest back link I've found is here but that's where the trail ends. I also found something pretty similar here that I liked a lot. Anyway, if you know where the pin originated please let me know so I can update my links. Also, I didn't like how the recipe from the image turned out and decided to go with this one instead (but I halved it since I only needed a few ornaments). It was very simple and we had a lot of fun with it.

Whew, that was a lot of explaining for one pin! So today my neighbor girls came over to play. I asked what they wanted to do and they said something fun. I told them that Everly and I were about to make Christmas ornaments and they were thrilled over that idea. So they jumped right up onto their stools and we all made ornaments.


Everly hung out in the sling with the girls and I worked on our ornaments. She was helpful by lending me her tiny hand to make handprints. I made 2 of hers, turning one into Santa and one into a keepsake for myself. The Santa one I finished with paints and the handprint I just used a marker to color in her hand. I haven't had a chance to seal them yet because they haven't completely finished drying, but I'll do that in the morning. And in case you don't want to follow the links, here's the recipe I used.

Salt Dough Recipe
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup salt
Preheat oven to 325. Mix dough (I used the bread extension on my kitchen aid but you can hand mix it too). Make your ornaments (be creative if you like- my husband made a mini Cartman). Bake for 1 hour. Decorate! 

xo Sue

10 comments:

  1. So much fun! I remember making these when my kids were little! Your came out so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did salt dough ornaments last year and The Kid LOVED them! We used stamps and she made me go and buy a ton more for next time. Yours are super cute and the santa is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of those I made in elementary school that broke when we moved. I should make my mom a new one with my current hand size just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea! I am totally doing these with my kids this weekend! mommyinsports.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember doing these as a kid. I am pretty sure my parents never hung the ornament because it didn't go with their tree color theme or something. I should make one and hang it on my tree to work out my childhood disappointment, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did these as a kid and I remember everyone in my class eating the dough to see what it tasted like. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have the ornaments my kids did with these. Yours are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cute. i want to make these for gifts now! thanks for showing us :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so easy and really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute! I should make some of these for my mom. She had some once but they got wet during a move and disintegrated.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!