Mama's Homemade Salsa

Aug 13, 2013

Growing up I have these vivid memories of my mama canning food in the kitchen. Peaches, pears, jams and jellies, and always salsa. A few days ago she harvested her garden and came back with just enough tomatoes to make her delicious salsa. It wasn't enough to can (because lets be honest, that stuff goes quickly!) but it was enough to make the recipe I remember from years ago and that was good enough for me. The way my mom cooks is very entertaining and as I get older I find I cook the same way. I used to be a very strict recipe follower. Now I look at a recipe and change it to fit my tastes as I go. So thanks for that mom! But really, this recipe should be followed. It's perfect.


Mama's Homemade Salsa
  • 12 large tomatoes
  • 3 large bell peppers
  • 1 large onion
  • 2-6 jalapeƱo peppers (depending on how spicy you want it)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
Blanche, skin, and core the tomatoes. Chop all vegetables into large pieces (see above). Using a food processor, dice the vegetables up into chunky pieces. Add everything to a large pot and cook on med/high heat for 1-2 hours until you've achieved the consistency you want. Store in the fridge or can it to make it last longer! 

Also, if your name is Everly, this is how you help when your mom and grandma make salsa. Enjoy!

xo Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!