A Dirty Word: Divorce.

Jan 26, 2012

I always thought of divorce as a dirty word. 
Actually, I still do. 
It seems so angry, so painful, so final. The end of it all. And lets be honest here friends, how many of you think to yourself, "I'm going to get married now. This will be fun. In a few years when I'm done with him we'll just get a divorce." I'm pretty sure none of you think that way. No one gets married with the plans to only be together for a few years. And yet it happens so frequently... Statistics put the divorce rate in America anywhere from 40-50%. Is that not scary? 
It made me never want to get married.
Again.


Yes, I said again.
As in this is not the first time I've been married.
And yes, I'm only 25.


I've never blogged about my divorce. I've never shared it on Facebook. I didn't go to counseling (although I probably should have and maybe still should). I didn't get any sort of medical help. I've barely even talked to my family and friends about it. To be honest, I'm not really sure why I kept it all so close to myself. Except I hate to share the story. It makes me sound like a stupid little girl. And maybe that's what I was but I don't like thinking of myself that way. 


Here are the basics. We were married. Happily, I thought. I knew something was bothering him for about a week and every time I tried to talk to him about it he would shut down completely. So I just tried harder. And then he came home after work and said, "I don't want to be married anymore. This is too hard." And he walked out the door. Three days later he had divorce papers drawn up and in my hands before I'd even figured out what was going on. I asked him to go to counseling with me. I asked him to talk to me about it. I asked him to try and work things out. But it quickly became apparent that he had made up his mind long before he'd let me know. As I look through my 20/20 hindsight glasses I can see the little signs that he was unhappy and that something was wrong but he was kind of a grumpy/moody person and at the time I didn't pick up on the differences.


The roller coaster of feelings I went through in the following months/years are impossible to describe accurately. I felt shocked, heartbroken, devastated, and completely empty. I felt worthless. And I felt so betrayed. We'd had a life together, a future planned, and then he'd just walked away like none of it mattered at all. I did not (and still fully do not) understand how he could just walk away from our marriage. We'd stood up in front of everyone we knew and promised to be together forever. Forever didn't last as long as I thought it would. I've spent countless hours asking myself what went wrong. What did I do wrong. What could I have done differently. Why did that happen. I never imagined I'd be the girl who got divorced. It was so sad and broken and that was not me. 


Then one day (several months down the road) I woke up and for a minute, it didn't hurt. I never did figure out the answer to my questions but slowly, slowly I put myself back together. I changed my expectations of myself and of my life. I gave myself new goals. I gave myself new things to live for. I found new excitement in my life. I found joy in unexpected places. I made a lot of new friends and strengthened my friendships with old friends. I was reminded through every action that my family is the most amazing family a girl could ask for. I went through something I felt was impossible and came out the other side stronger and better than ever. 


My divorce was horrible and miserable and I would never wish that on anyone. But I can honestly say I would not be the person I am today without that trial in my life. And I like who I've become. I also wouldn't be married to the wonderful man I now call my husband. I learned so much about what I wanted in my life and in my future companion and Aaron exceeds all expectations. He is a wonderful man and even though he had to do a lot of work convincing me that not all men were evil spawns he says it was worth it.


Through the anger, the pain, the hurt, and the struggle I came out the other end fighting for my happiness. And I learned the true meaning of the quote, 
"You never know how strong you are 
until being strong is the only choice you have."

19 comments:

  1. You're so awesomely brave for sharing your story. I love that. I'm glad you found something so great on the other side of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! I cannot even imagine what a painful experience that was, but I'm so thankful your story has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, thank you for sharing. That sounds like a truly awful experience but the way you described it was amazing. There's no doubt the trials we go through makes us stronger and able to handle life better! And I'm glad you put it down in writing because I know whether I'm talking about something crazy my kids did or something about my Dad, there's just something about putting into words that heals me just a little bit more! :) I'm so glad you found Aaron! He sounds like such a great addition to our extended family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I'm so glad I've found Aaron, too. He's a perfect fit for me and even though I had to go through hell to get here I'm so glad I've arrived at this place in my life.

      Delete
  4. I think you are so brave for sharing something that was painful and hard to go through. You seem to have found a lot of happiness now and just like you said, if things had worked out differently you wouldn't be where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As this is my first comment, I'd like to thank you for being so honest. Finding blogs that are written honestly- and about things that matter- is few and far between. I was almost married not too long ago, and I'm also a firm believer in the sanctity of marriage. I recognized the signs and ended it before it destroyed us both. Wonderful post. I'm looking forward to keeping up with your blog. I'm glad you've been blessed with a happy marriage! It matters not whether it's your first, third, or fifth. Finding the right person is about trusting yourself (and God) enough to keep moving right along. Stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've really come to love and appreciate all the support I've received over this. It's been a struggle for so many reasons but I finally felt the strength to let it out on my blog and I so appreciate comments like this, it makes me feel like it's worth it.

      Delete
  6. Love this post, lady. You should write longer posts more often. You're really good at expressing yourself.

    Divorce is a big and scary word, one I never thought I'd have to face. Still, I faced it and I came out better and stronger and now I look back as see that sometimes divorce is a good choice.

    Much love, Sue.

    PS Want to guest post about your new adventures in Japan? If so, facebook me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll never forget when you told me the news.....my heart ached for you. It's been amazing to follow you and see how far you've come since then. I'm so happy you've been able to overcome the hurt and be stronger for it, and I'm thrilled to see you so happy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so sweet, Sue. Thanks for sharing this. Bloggers like you are the ones I respect the most. They keep it real. Big hugs and loves to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this yesterday and if it weren't for the baby I had on my lap keeping me from typing, I would have commented then. This post was beautifully written and something that I'm sure will help so many people. I remember vividly the day you called me, and how things went from there. It was heartbreaking and I wished I could have fixed it for you. It was a horrible experience but I have watched you change and grow and recover in ways that I know you didn't think you'd ever have to. You are such a strong, vibrant, wonderful woman and such a great example of how to move forward from scary circumstances. You are someone to be admired, and I am so incredibly happy that YOU are so very happy. Aaron is a true blessing.. but YOU are wonderwoman. I love you! THANK YOU for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber. Your continued love and support is something I've always had and I'm so lucky for that! I'm so glad we are best friends :)

      Delete
  10. You are brave for sharing this story! I am glad that you made it a lesson, I am sad it still hurts you and it was good for you to get back up onto your feet!!! Because if not I wouldn't know you and knowing you brings joy into my heart!!! Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashlee, I'm glad I could finally share it, too. It may have taken me a little while but it was worth it.

      Delete
  11. What a brave post, girl! That took courage I'm sure. I just found your blog and it looks interesting. Visit me sometime!
    Hannah at www.thrivingthirty.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your story, Sue! You are really brave to open up like that. I know that can be really hard. You are such a strong person and I really admire you. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. This was awesome to find. I just got married last June and for a lot of reasons, things are just not working. Every single female in my family has had at least one (at least???!!!!) divorce and I vowed I'd never go through that, yet here I am contemplating my decision and some days I feel like divorce is imminent.

    And I feel like a failure, for being that girl. I know exactly what you mean. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but you're right; the worst things in our lives are sometimes also the most beneficial when it comes to shaping who we are and what we want.

    Anyway, thanks for writing. I love seeing honest blogs.

    -Patricia
    http://patricia-writes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i married for the 1st time at 20 yrs. i should never have done it. i think it was more out of convenience than love. he was in the military and would go out for 3 months and be home for 2 months. when he would come home, he would spend all the money i saved, drink constantly, and sleep when he wasn't drinking. i don't talk about the 1st marriage much either. there is nothing tying me to him, so we let each other go.
    divorce is hard (and can be expensive) but this was a better decision in the long run.
    now, you have someone who lights up your world [i do too:)] and experience to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!