On Baby Names

Dec 11, 2012


And yet, there's something beautiful about the word "rose." Every name is different and special, picked for us by people who love us more than we can ever imagine. I was named after my mother. Her middle name is Susan, which is my given name. Growing up I always thought I had an old lady name. Now I prefer to think of it as vintage. And the nickname, Sue, well I just think it fits me. Short and sweet and simple. And I love that it's the name my mom and dad picked out just for me. I was almost named Heather (now it's my middle name instead) but I'm glad I wasn't. I don't think it would have fit me nearly as well and my parents somehow knew that. They knew they were having a spunky little girl that needed a spunky little name to go along with her. Somehow they just knew. And they continued to know with 5 more children!

I've always thought that Shelly's name fits her so well. It's a warm and happy name and that fits my bubbly younger sister completely. Her dimples are ridiculously cute (all 6 kids in our family have them but Shelly's are by far the most prominent) and because of that her smile makes it impossible not to smile back at her. She'll probably be embarrassed when she reads this because she doesn't know I'm writing about her. Oops! Her precious baby Elizabeth was named perfectly, too. It such a classic, sweet name and the nickname, Lizzie, is the picture of a bundle of joy- which she definitely is!

How do you pick a name for your baby? It has been such a daunting task for us! Suddenly I felt like every name I had ever liked was terribly wrong for my daughter. People ask me how we picked ours and I honestly don't have a good answer. I'm still not sure how we found her name. I think I heard it years ago and it just sort of stuck with me. But our naming process went something like this.

We found out I was pregnant. We started talking about both boy and girl names. We picked middle names first (I know, we're strange). We made a huge list of potentials. We crossed off more than half almost immediately. We narrowed it down to 2 or 3 for each gender. We found out we're having a girl. We debated between 2 for weeks. One of them just sounded right to my ears and my heart so I started calling her by it out loud. Aaron got on board. Now we have our daughter's name. But it was a process!

So tell me, what names do you love? And how did you end up picking them?
xo Sue

5 comments:

  1. Baby names are so special!!
    Obviously, Memphis & Ruby are my most favorite names... I ALWAYS knew I'd have a Ruby! ;)
    Other names I love are Olive & Clementine for a girl, Harrison & Knox for a boy. ♥
    Can't wait to hear what you've picked out for your baby girl, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had a first and middle name picked out for a girl and boy for a long time. Now that I'm pregnant, we can't wait to find out what we're having so we can start calling our baby by their name. We love picking names with meaning or a story behind it. My uncle married us so if it's a boy, his first name will be my uncle's name and my husband's middle name. If it's a girl, we just picked a name we love and her middle name will be my husband's mother's name, who passed away a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not even pregnant and i love running baby names past my husband (who rejects 90% of them!) it's such a fun thing to think about though. congrats on picking a name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to know what it is! :) We have probable names picked out at this point, even though the boy name was SUCH a challenge! I keep going back and forth between two girl names, but we'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter's name is Tennessee Harper. I loved the name Harper but didn't want to use it as a first name since it's becoming more and more popular. I wanted something different as the first name. Tennessee was sort of a joke at first, but the more I thought about it the more I loved it. We didn't know for sure until I was about 7 months pregnant. Choosing baby names is hard!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!