Custom Canvas Quotes

Dec 12, 2012

I've been nesting! My daughter's room is my favorite room in the house and it's not even done yet. It's been a little frustrating because everything I've wanted I've had to order online and the waiting on overseas shipping makes me crazy. I can find decor here but the big things (like furniture!) have been much more difficult. My favorite part of decorating her room has been my DIY projects. It makes me feel like I'm really creating this space for her. They've all been very simple but I've learned that things don't have to be extravagant or difficult to be beautiful. So far these custom canvas quotes have been my favorite project and after sharing them on Instagram I've had numerous requests for the tutorial. So by popular demand, I give you my insanely easy custom canvas quotes tutorial.

Materials needed
blank canvases
paint brush
mod podge (I used satin, a great mix between glossy and matte)
quality printed photos (I made mine on PicMonkey and ordered them from Shutterfly)

Start by painting the blank canvas with a thin coat of mod podge. Lay your photo on the canvas and flatten it out so there are no bubbles. Cover the entire photo with mod podge, going over the edges to make smooth lines. Let it dry completely. Hang your canvas photos anywhere you want and enjoy the beautiful finished product!


I used 5x7 canvases and photos because I didn't want them to take away from the rest of her room, just add a little something special, but you can use any size you like. Also, be sure your photos printed are a good quality. The first ones I had printed at a tiny local store in Japan were terrible. They bubbled and peeled and curled in on the edges. The prints from Shutterfly were perfect and gave me no trouble at all. I've also made something similar to this with photos printed on my own printer and they worked great as well. As long as you have quality photo paper this project will work well.
xo Sue

4 comments:

I love to get comments from my wonderful readers. Leave me your thoughts here!